Finding a roof leak can be the most annoying thing. Not only might it create a significant amount of discomfort for you and your family, but most roof leaks tend to deface the finishing of your ceiling. If allowed to persist, they may cause quite significant damage to the structural integrity of your home. The best way to handle leaking roofs is to prevent them from ever occurring. We will show you a few smart ways to prevent roof leaks from ever happening in the first place, and provide guidance on how to get the best Fresno, CA roof leak repair if your home does develop a roof leak.
Prevention is always the best strategy, as most of the problems that cause a leaking roof are typically caused during installation, maintenance, or repair. Once you suspect a roof leak has occurred, however, the next thing to do is leak identification. For this, it is advisable that you hire a professional leaking roof specialist who will help trace the root cause of the leak. Here are the top 6 causes of roof leaks:
1. Faulty shingles You must resist the urge to buy the cheapest or most affordable shingles available on the market, as low-cost rarely ever means high quality. Low-quality shingles tend to lose their integrity eventually, and when this happens, roof leaks are almost certain to happen. To avoid this, you should only hire the best Fresno, CA roof repair and construction companies in the first place. Sometimes it is not just the quality of shingles that matters, as there could also be a degree of human error at fault for damage to the shingles. At other times, shingles may have been blown out of position by strong winds or rain. This sort of damage may be easy to detect, but sometimes you will need a professional evaluation to help spot the damage.
2. Compromised Valleys While damaged shingles or displaced shingles are probably among the main causes of roof leaks, depending on the structure of your home there could be other causes. For larger homes, it is common to find two sloping roofs that may be joined in a valley shaped structure. The point where the two roofs meet is called a roof valley. Generally, there are two types of roof valleys: an open valley is made of iron and a closed valley is made of overlapping shingles.
Frequently, the cause of a leaky roof may be damage to a roof valley. These punctures could occur in many ways, but human error is one of the most likely causes. Roofers and other construction or building personnel typical have to walk on your roof while they fix or construct it, and could create damage to them.
Roof valleys also tend to accumulate debris and these could also be contributors to any leaks you notice in your roof.
3. Broken Flashing Flashing is one of the most important components of your roof. It is usually a sheet of metal that is laid over the joints in a roof. You might also find flashing laid over the roof valleys of your home. Its primary job is to prevent water from leaking into your house, so when you have a leak, broken flashing is one of the first things you should look for.
4. Regular wear and tear All materials are prone to degradation with time. If your home is relatively old, your roof damage might not be directly attributable to any particular one of the causes above, but might just be a sign that you need a large scale renovation of your roof.
5. Attic condensation If you are experiencing roof leaks in the winter, condensation in your attic could be the culprit. Warm vapor will often travel through your home from the lower regions, and settle in the attic where it condenses and may cause mold, rot or simply drip through the ceiling. If treated swiftly, the damage may be minimized, simply by introducing proper insulation to your attic.
6. Clogged gutters If your roof gutter is leaking, decomposed bio-material such as leaves could very well be the cause. This is one simple maintenance issue that you can take care of yourself using simple tools such as a hose and some water. If you have a concealed or boxed gutter leaking, however, then you may experience substantial leakage within the house and should seek professional help immediately.
What to do when you have a leaky roof:
You might be tempted to attempt a fix on your own but in most cases, it is advisable to simply hire a professional and let them take care of your roof leak. A professional leak specialist will be the best person to diagnose what the problem is with your roof, recommend the best solution, and proceed to fix your roof leak.
How much does roof leak repair cost?
There is no way to provide a precise assessment of what the cost of fixing your roof will be. A physical examination will be required in order to provide this. However, the costs of Fresno roof leak repair generally may range from $300 to $1,100.
How to find roof leak repair near me
You already have! We are a highly experienced team of roof repair specialists, ready to provide the best Fresno, CA roof repair service, just one call away.