A roof leak can be distressing and expensive to resolve. Regardless of the type of roof you have, poor maintenance will eventually lead to some problems, so roof maintenance is essential. When it comes to roof maintenance, you have two options: you may choose to do it yourself, or simply call in a professional to take care of your roof for you. Hiring a Fresno, CA roof maintenance service is the better idea. If you do not know what you are doing, you may end up doing a lot more damage to your roof.
On the other hand, you might save a bit of money if you do decide to take care of your roof yourself. Whichever you decide to go with, here are the essential tips you need to know for proper roof maintenance.
Common causes of roof problems
Good roof maintenance starts with knowing what could go wrong. The most common causes of damage are:
1. Improper installation. Human error is very frequently the reason for damage to your roofing. From poor installation to punctures created in the process, or even accidentally knocking a shingle or wood shake loose, human activity on your roof could very easily lead to damage. This is why it is generally a good idea to let professionals take care of your roofing needs.
2. Trees Lots of homes have trees growing around them, in close enough proximity for their branches to make contact with their roofs. Trees may look beautiful and provide cooling effects in the summer, but they are generally not great for your roof. This is because they are a common source of algae, twigs, moss, etc, that trap moisture and cause mold growth. Mold will eventually weaken the integrity of most types of shingles and lead to leaks. Tree branches can also scrape against your roof and thereby displace or weaken some shingles.
3. Storms Storms are very frequently the cause of extensive damage to your roof. If properly installed and well taken care of using the following roof maintenance tips, you will have little to worry about during a storm.
General Roof Maintenance
The common causes of roof maintenance problems, give a clear idea of what sort of maintenance you can expect to conduct on your roof. Generally, these three tips apply to all roof types with some more specific tips to follow after.
1. Hire only proven professionals to do your installation, and use only the best materials for your roof. Different roofing materials have different levels of durability. The most sturdy materials are usually either slate or metal.
2. Trim any nearby trees to ensure that they do not drop leaves and other moisture-trapping material onto your roof. As noted previously, trees can be a source of materials that trap moisture that in turn encourages the growth of mold. Tree branches may also scrape and thereby damage your roofing.
3. Regularly clean out your roof gutters using a leaf blower or a hose and some water. Whether you have trees nearby or not, roof gutters tend to accumulate lots of debris and may be home to rodents. This may also be a source of roof leaks.
4. Moisture should generally be avoided in your roof. This means ensuring that your attic stays well ventilated throughout the year.
5. Call in a professional roofing service to perform an annual inspection each spring. Spring is the best time for this, as the harsh winter weather creates a higher chance of roof damage occurring. If spotted early during the spring, minimal damage may be easily fixed.
Cedar Roof Maintenance
Cedar roofs, or wood shake roofs, require some peculiar maintenance steps. In addition to the previous steps, install strips of zinc or copper as ridge caps. When it rains, water will react with the copper or zinc to create a solution that makes it harder for things like moss, mold, etc. to grow. If you notice any moss or mold, scrape them off and scrub the shakes with a solution of 1-quart household bleach, 1-ounce detergent, and 3 quarts of warm water.
Flat Roof Maintenance
Flat roofs have unique challenges due to their flat nature. Prominent among these is the fact that they tend to collect water when it rains. In addition to general roof maintenance best practices, you should also consider using underlayment as well as regular roof resealing.
Underlayment is a waterproof layer added over the top of plywood, and under shingles to provide extra protection against leaks. Regularly re-sealing your roof is another way to prevent leaks. Sealing is optional for sloped roofs but essential for flat roofs, because of their tendency to collect water.
Metal Roof Maintenance
Among the greatest dangers to metal roofs, is the risk of corrosion. To prevent this, use only one type of material on your metal roof, as contact with other materials tends to trigger corrosion. In particular, try to avoid using two different types of metal such as aluminum and copper, as this will almost certainly cause corrosion.
How much does Fresno roof maintenance cost?
The cost of roof maintenance is generally cheaper than it costs to fix a roof leak. The precise costs might vary depending on the type of roof, and the contractor’s charges. Generally, though, the total bill will be the cost of materials plus the contractor’s charges which may range from $50 to $250. If you are looking for affordable roof repair, give us a call today, and we will give you the most competitive quotes.
How to find the best roof repair service near me?
If you have been wondering “how do I find the best local roof repair contractors?” You already have! We are a highly experienced roof repair service, ready to provide the best Fresno, CA roof maintenance and repair service just one call away.